Thursday, June 10, 2010

Swim Camp


Summer and Forrest's swim camp at UNCW is coming to an end. This morning in their two weeks long classes they were doing new things in the pool. Summer is learning to do the breaststroke, the freestyle, the backstroke and the butterfly. She is also learning how to dive. Forget about learning how to swim on his own, the best part for Forrest is at the end of each class when he gets to swim with his big sister in the 15 feet deep diving well. I told Brian, Summer's instructor for the past three years, that he has celebrity status in our home with how much Summer speaks of him and adores him. Last week Forrest was in tears, wanting his mommy and daddy in the pool with him. He is now laughing and having so much fun. Kudos to Casey, Forrest's instructor, for this breakthrough. Swim camps are fun for the kids but really long for me. It starts early and I have to get up at 5:30 every morning to get myself ready for my classes, then wake up the kids at 6:30 to get them ready for swim camp. I drop them off at the natatorium where Leigh waits for us. I transfer the kids' booster seats into Leigh's car and hand her the bag of freshly washed towels, toys, snacks and bottles of water. I then say good bye to the kids, drive across campus to get to my classroom by 8. As soon as I get out after 12:20, I then have to drive to Leigh's apartment to race all of us into the car with the kids' booster seats back in and buckled up to make it home by 1pm for nap time. I know that is a lot of boring info but it really made me dread those mornings. Seeing the kids get excited this morning and their faces light up made me realize that all of those busy mornings have been worth it.