Friday, May 14, 2010

Mother's Day

I had a great Mother's Day. Summer and Forrest made me the sweetest card. Summer spent a really long time on hers and when I woke up in the morning it was on the breakfast tray along with a bowl of cut up fruit and yogurt. The kids patiently waited and waited until I woke up to serve me in bed. I loved it. David traced Forrest's hand and had Summer color it as their gift to me. We went to the beach and had dinner at dockside, one of my very favorite restaurants.

We were all dressed up and never got around to taking any pictures on Mother's Day. However, I am almost glad because this morning as David was heading out he took this picture of us... the real us. The morning routine of me in my pajamas getting breakfast ready, Forrest in his pajamas and Summer in her "cozy clothes" before getting dressed for preschool.

I saw a card a while back in a card shop and loved it. It said on the front, "She designed a life she loved". I have often thought of this card. It rings true to me. I have designed a life that I love. I am living the life that I had envisioned for myself as a little girl. As far back as I can remember I wanted to be a mother. It is so much more difficult than I ever had imagined both physically and emotionally but at the same time it is also much more rewarding than I had ever imagined. And the love that I feel for my 2 little kids I never dreamed even possible. I want my kids to know that they too, through thoughtful decisions in their lives, can design lives that they will love. I by no means have a perfect life nor do I want my kids to believe in perfection but the core things in life that are important to me are intact and that is all that matters.