Thursday, May 6, 2010

Getting Real

I started laughing thinking about my recent post on how I have learned to "mother" each of my kids. This time it was Summer in the car on the way to preschool this morning. She literally had a complete and total meltdown. On our way out to the garage, I reminded her that she has dance after school and to bring her ballet/tap bag. Once we were half way to preschool, Summer realized she forgot her bag. Just imagine the screaming and fits throwing in the back of the car. I had Forrest with me as well and I didn't have a place to pull over on the highway to contain all of this craziness. Summer screamed, "If you don't turn around I am not going to preschool!" I replied calmly that she can go in her class and explain to her teachers why she is not going to preschool today. We got to downtown and I found a place to pull over in a restaurant parking lot. I got out of the car, got Summer out so we could talk. There I was in full view of the world looking and feeling like a complete and total failure as a mom. I had NO IDEA what to do with her. She was beyond reasoning with. I literally just stood above her and tried to talk with her... then I tried to hold her... then I tried to ignore... then I tried to be firm. Nothing worked. Everything in me wanted to just drive back home to get that darn bag but I held strong. We were quite the sight as we stood with her screaming. I eventually scooped her up as she was thrashing in my arms. I told her I loved her but we learn from our mistakes and hopefully this lesson will teach her to remember her bag next time. As soon as we got back into the car I sat her on my lap on the front seat and just hugged her. She eventually calmed down and just snuggled into me on my lap. Her crying finally lessened and while sniffling Summer whispered, "Sowwy mom", I almost started crying. It's not pretty all the time but maybe I do know how to mother my kids after all.