Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Besties

The other day these siblings really got into it. There was hitting and some naughty words yelled. Summer's line was, "You're not nice, Forrest!" and Forrest yelled his signature angry line, "You're wude, Summer!" It was all over a silly lego toy. We only have one and they both wanted it. To them, their worlds were ending. I pried them apart (literally) and put them both in time out. After they mellowed out a bit we had "the talk". You know, the follow up talk after you get in trouble. I remember this dreaded talk growing up. I knew it well. I talked to them about how lucky they were to have each other. That they were being mean to their best friend... The friend they would have forever. We talked about taking turns and then it happened, I pulled the most dreaded mom-maneuver EVER. Their eyes were wandering while I was giving my speech and I said, "Look at me!" Oh, how I disliked that when I was getting in trouble! Wow. Who am I? I may have given birth two times but when that line came out of my hands, I officially became a mom. I am still laughing about it. I must admit however, it did seem to work. They hugged and I even got them laughing. As I was getting breakfast ready the next morning, I saw Summer sign to Forrest, "I love being your sister and you are my best friend" and Forrest repeated back to her in his mumbled 2 years old speech, "I luv being yur brother". I melted.