Thursday, March 31, 2011

Super Glue and Other Important Topics...

The klutz bug has hit our home. I have escaped so far but both my kids have had their turn with accidents. I have had some awesome experiences with super glue, band aids, peroxide, antibiotic ointment and ice packs but I'll spare you the details.

It was unreal. Last week Forrest fell down on the driveway while playing superhero with his cape and scraped his forehead, nose and knees. There was so much blood that I couldn't even take his clothes inside to the laundry room for fear of the mess just getting there. I ended up washing his clothes right on the driveway. It didn't stop there. Monday Summer ran into the family room, lost her balance and fell really hard. She hit her chin right on the desk chair. There was a deep cut on her chin that a simple band aid would not do the job. I knew right away that she needed stitches. I scooped her up, loaded her in the car and went straight to the emergency room. I did not even bother getting our coats or the kids' shoes. The doctor was able to closed up her deep 2-inch wide cut with super glue. Amazing.

A lady I had never met before stopped us in the doctor's office while checking in and said, "Oh sweetie -- I've been there. How are you holding up?" It was so nice of her. Really nice. I wanted to start crying but just then Forrest threw his arms up wanting me to hold him with Summer on my hip. All I could do was start laughing and I said, "They don't pay me enough."

What else can you do but laugh? And for the record -- washing, peroxiding, washing, re-peroxiding, and washing clothes a hundred times one week should earn you an advanced degree or at the very least an award of some sort. I'm going to look into that.

I think we're on the mend but it's been one of those weeks for me.

With Summer home recovering, Forrest was actually quite excited about going to preschool this morning. He kept saying, "Meeeee schooooool!" I was rushing to get him into the car with no intention of a photo in mind and he said, "I'm cute! You can take a picture of me if you want to, mama." I was in a hurry and already in the car but I told myself he really needed his picture taken. So this one's for my Forrest - heading out the door on his way to preschool with his silly fish face.