Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Airplane Sandwich


Yesterday Forrest was grumpy. I mean, really grumpy. I was trying to get him to preschool and he was just not cooperating. Everything was going wrong in his opinion and he was completely irrational. He hated his breakfast, his shoes were itchy, his pants were too long, the snack I packed was gross, he thought Summer was being mean, it was just one of those days. I put him into the car and he was still grumpy. I finally pulled the car over, turned around and said, "Forrest. what's going on today. You can tell me." He crossed his arms, pouted his mouth and said, "You really want to know?  Are you sure? Cause I'll tell you." I reassured him that yes, I REALLY wanted to know. He looked at me, started crying and said, "You NEVER, EVER make me airplane sandwich!"

What?!

I couldn't help but smile (which didn't help things) because I had NO IDEA where that thought was coming from. He has never in his life asked for airplane sandwich. I would make it for him (with some creativity) but it's just never come up. It was so random. So I said, "Oh that IS pretty sad. Ok, I'll make you a deal, if you calm down and bring the happy Forrest back I'll make you airplane sandwich tomorrow for lunch." It worked. He was then totally fine. His 3-year old mind was relieved.

And guess what my Forrest got for lunch this afternoon... airplane sandwich.