Tuesday, July 20, 2010

First Day of Kindergarten!


Summer had her first day of Kindergarten today. Hooray! I can not believe it! This morning I took the kids to the pool for a swim. I checked my phone during break and there was the phone call we have been waiting for from the school. They finally had a spot for Summer and said to come in the school today. You should have seen the look on Summer's face when I signaled the kids to get out of the pool. I will never forget this moment. I got down on my knees, held onto Summer's arms, and quickly said... "You got in!" At that very moment was the second I witnessed my baby blossoming into a Kindergartner. Off we went back home to get Summer changed into her school uniform before driving to the school. Forrest was just as excited!

Summer's backpack is back-ordered until September. She only has one school uniform. as you can see we were totally unprepared for this day. We are making do with what have. She loves her dance bag. It is big enough to hold her notebook so we are using that as a makeshift backpack until the one arrives. Summer looked online with me for the perfect backpack, and finally settled on this cute pink one with blue hibiscuses. I think the tipping point was when she found out we could have her name embroidered on it in pink. Sold! I walked her to the door this morning with Forrest in tow. We all stood at her door as the kids sat in their desks coloring. It was so cute to see. Forrest could not stop waving to her and kept yelling, "Bye, Summer!"

I picked her up today and asked how her first day went and how she liked her teacher. She said, "I love it here, Mama!" So I guess today was a success. I am so happy that she is happy there. Such a simple thing, but that is all I want as a mom. Here is to a great school year!